Two balanced cocktails from the pioneering food studio with sustainable living, eating and working at its heart.This month, our friends at Plates have taken our spirits and created two delectable cocktails using the reduce technique; that means using 25ml rather than 50ml of spirit, combined with a non-alcoholic 'lengthener' as they acknowledge that January is a time for greater self-awareness and fuelling your body in a way that works for you.
Low ABV cocktails with additional benefits
The first drink in their balance series for Foxhole is the 'Tiger Lolly' made with our HYKE Signature Series Orange. It's an absolute beauty that uses chai tea in the recipe for some additional benefits. Disclaimer: alcoholic cocktails are not health products!
The second low ABV cocktail is a simple but stunning Tea-Punch made with our Mad City Botanical Rum @Aecorn_drinks dry aperitif and @pukkaherbs Chamomile, Fennel & Marshmallow tea.
In-house mixologist Amber Blood has put together step-by-step instructions so you can try these delicious cocktails for yourself at home. Let us know what you think @foxholespirits!
Thirsty for more? This #veganuary get inspired by Plates’ reinvention of vegan food through one of their awesome virtual cookery + mixology workshops with award-winning chef and co-founder @Kirk_haworth and Amber. 👌👨🍳🦊
- 25ml HYKE Signature Series Orange
- 25ml Aecorn Bitter aperitif
- 10ml chai tea
- 100 - 150ml freshly squeezed orange juice (depending on glassware size)
Glassware: Highball glass
Garnish: Orange wedge
- Pop glassware in the freezer as far in advance as possible.
- Brew 1 chai tea bag in 100ml of boiling water, and allow it to chill in the fridge.
- Freshly squeeze the orange juice (important for the ‘fluff’ effect later). Then pour the juice into a nutri-bullet but do not blend yet.
- Remove glassware from the freezer, and add 25ml HYKE Orange, 25ml Aecorn Bitter and 10ml tea. Add cubed ice to 1cm below the top of the glass.
- Blend the orange juice for 1 min.
- Add 10ml orange juice to the glass and stir, to create a cloudy red colour, then carefully pour over the rest of the fluffy orange juice.
Garnish with an orange wedge.
Mad Tea Punch
- 25ml Mad City Rum
- 25ml Aecorn dry aperitif
- 50ml - 75ml Chamomile, fennel & marshmallow tea (Pukka teas)/ (alternative: green tea)
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
Glassware: Large coupette/wine glass
Garnish: Dehydrated citrus wheel (lime works best)
1. Pop glassware in the freezer as far in advance as possible.
2. Brew 2 marshmallow tea bags in 100ml of boiling water, and allow it to chill in the fridge.
3. Cut chosen citrus into 3mm wheels with a serrated knife. Place them on the rack in the oven for 3 hours at 75 degrees, turning every half hour.
4. When you’re ready to make the drink, grab a cocktail tin or jam jar, and add the Rum, Aecorn dry, tea and bitters.
5. Add ice and stir for 1 minute.
6. Remove glassware from the freezer.
7. Strain the cold liquid into the glass, keeping the ice inside the tin.
8. Garnish with the citrus wheel. Sit back, and enjoy with all your senses.
(Pro-bartender hack: Spritz a couple of sprays of absinthe inside the glass for extra aroma!)
← Older Post Newer Post →